Read The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God by Matthew Alper Free Online
Book Title: The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God|
The author of the book: Matthew Alper
Date of issue: September 1st 2006
ISBN 13: 9781402207488
City - Country: No data
Loaded: 1815 times
Reader ratings: 3.3
Format files: PDF
The size of the: 1.13 MB
Read full description of the books:
Very disappointing. I was hoping for scientific evidence to answer the question whether some or all God/religious experiences are formed inside our brain or not, but this is the personal quest of the author whether it would make sense for him to belief in the existence of a supernatural being, which presumably is interesting to read if you're the author.
Alper does not have a scientific background, and gets his information from reading (popularised) books and articles by scientists from a wide range of disciplines. This is fair enough in principle, except that Alper does not seem to fully understand what he's reading. As a physicist, I was appalled by Chapter 3, where the author outlines a short history of the universe, claiming a number of false statements, among which:
* "E=MC^2 ... means that if matter is accelerated ..., it will become energy" - not true
* The bit on planet formation suggests the 'mineral clusters' were not part of the cloud that formed the star, which is not true
* "All the galaxies ... make up the universe". 70% of the universe is forgotten
* The Earth's atmosphere shields us from meteorites, so when the Earth didn't have an atmosphere yet it grew in mass and size from impacts - not true
* The Earth cooled because an atmosphere formed - not true
* Jupiter doesn't have an atmosphere - not true
A similar impression, but on the topics of evolution and neurology, is documented in Broodingferret's review.
Hence, given the fact that parts of the author's understanding in fields where he doesn't have a background and I do are clearly wrong, there will be no way for me to know which parts to trust when we get to topics where I don't have any expertise either. Unfortunately, I quit reading it at page 33...
Download The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God ERUB
Download The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God DOC
Download The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God TXT